Rachel D.G. Horvath
Rachel D.G. Horvath
Morin & Barkley LLP
455 Second Street, S.E., Suite 200
Post Office Box 240
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Ms. Horvath focuses her practice on civil litigation, including medical malpractice defense, trucking litigation, claims of catastrophic injury, insurance coverage and defense, other personal injury defense, construction litigation, and commercial litigation. Ms. Horvath also represents health care providers in response to Department of Health Professions complaints, including the Board of Medicine, Board of Nursing, and Board of Dentistry. Ms. Horvath graduated from Tulane University in 2007 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 2010. Ms. Horvath joined Morin & Barkley in 2010 and became a partner in 2017. She has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star for Medical Malpractice Defense. Ms. Horvath has been an active member of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association and the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys. She is a graduate of the 2014 class of Leadership Charlottesville. Ms. Horvath lives in Charlottesville with her husband, son, and two dogs.
- Complex Litigation
- Health Professional Representation
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Strategic Counseling and Risk Management
- Personal Injury
- Trucking Litigation and Insurance
- Insurance Coverage
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia, J.D., 2010
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, B.A., Psychology, summa cum laude with honors, 2007
- Virginia State Bar, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Board Member, 2015-2017
- Secretary, 2014-2015
- Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star Medical Malpractice, 2016-2018
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite, Young Lawyer, 2015 and 2018
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- CLE Chair, 2013-2017
- Vice President, 2017-2018
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- YLC District Representative, 7th District, 2017-2018
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Website Committee, 2014
- Long-Range Planning Committee, 2017
- Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Phi Beta Kappa
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Informed Consent Through the Lenses of Real World Cases,” Grand Rounds at Winchester Medical Hospital, Winchester, Virginia, November 7, 2018.
- “Department of Health Complaints,” Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, January 2018.
- “Who Wants to be a ‘Slum Law’ Millionaire?,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Charlottesville, Virginia, May 12, 2016.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying the Dog Bite Case,” Virginia CLE, Charlottesville, Virginia, June 7, 2011, June 24, 2015, and September 26, 2018.
- “Virginia Electronic Evidence: Obtaining and Using Electronic Evidence at Trial,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Charlottesville, Virginia, January 8, 2015.
- “Tales from the Trenches: Avoiding and Defending Malpractice Claims,” University of Virginia Medical Center, November 12, 2014.
- “Virginia Rules of Evidence,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Charlottesville, Virginia, March 8, 2012. Prepared Written Materials.
- “Trends and Updates in Medical Malpractice,” Summit Health Care, Richmond, Virginia, October 27, 2011. Prepared Powerpoint Materials.
- “Young Children’s Understanding of Spatial-Graphic Representations,” Honors Thesis, Psychology Department of Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2007.