Karen M. Stemland
Karen M. Stemland
Morin & Barkley LLP
455 Second Street, S.E., Suite 200
Post Office Box 240
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Ms. Stemland focuses her practice on commercial litigation, construction law, and insurance coverage. In addition, she provides guidance on risk management, contract drafting, and dispute resolution. Prior to her time at Morin and Barkley, Ms. Stemland focused on construction, real estate, franchise, bankruptcy, and product liability matters.
Ms. Stemland graduated cum laude from Georgetown University LawCenter in 2001. She served as Senior Notes Editor for the Georgetown International Environmental Law Review from 2000-2001. Ms.
Stemland earned her B.A. from Colgate University in 1997, where she graduated magna cum laude with Honors in Political Science. Prior to law school, Ms. Stemland worked in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Complex Litigation
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Strategic Counseling and Risk Management
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., J.D., cum laude, 2001
- Colgate University, Hamilton, New York, B.A., Political Science,magna cum laude with honors, 1997
- Virginia, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2002
- Pennsylvania, 2004 (inactive status)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Secretary, 2016-2017
- Virginia State Bar
- Board Member, Foothills Child Advocacy Center
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Author, Chapter 16, “Commercial General Liability Insurance,” in Virginia Insurance Law (2015).
- Co-Author, Chapter 20, “Insurance Coverage,” in Virginia Construction Law Deskbook (2016).