Donald R. Morin
Donald R. Morin
Morin & Barkley LLP
455 Second Street, S.E., Suite 200
Post Office Box 240
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Mr. Morin focuses his practice on medical malpractice defense, health professional representation and counseling, other professional liability defense, personal injury defense including claims of catastrophic injury, commercial litigation, and significant plaintiffs’ personal injury claims. He also works with insurance clients and commercial clients on risk management issues.
Mr. Morin has an active trial practice in Virginia extending from Charlottesville and Richmond through Central Virginia and into the Shenandoah Valley. He appears in both state and federal courts throughout Virginia.
In 2007, Mr. Morin was elected to membership in The American College of Trial Lawyers. Membership in ACTL is limited to those lawyers who are outstanding and considered the best in their state. In 2012, he was selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Morin has also mediated cases when his clients choose mediation as an alternative to trial. He has successfully mediated medical malpractice cases, significant personal injury cases, real estate transaction litigation and land use disputes between neighbors. In addition to serving as the attorney for his clients in mediations, he is also trained as a mediator and available to serve as a mediator in complex and multi-party civil litigation matters.
- Health Professional Representation
- Trucking Litigation and Insurance
- Complex Litigation
- Personal Injury
- St. Louis University School of Law, St. Louis,
Missouri, J.D., 1978
- Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri,
- Virginia, 1991
- Illinois, 1979
- Missouri, 1978
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Certified Court-Referred Mediator, The Supreme Court of Virginia
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association, President 2007–2008
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Charlottesville, Virginia, President 2011-2012
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- The Defense Research Institute
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Medical Malpractice, 2008-2016
- Best Lawyers in America 2012
- Ronald D. Hodges, Esquire, Law and Medical Award, 2009
- City of Charlottesville Rotary Club, 1994-Present, President 2003-2004
- Lon O. Hocker Trial Lawyer Award, 1989 from Missouri Bar Foundation
Publications and Presentations
- “In the Moment Decisions for the Lawyer and the Client in the Courtroom,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, November 8, 2018.
- “Informed Consent Through the Lenses of Real World Cases,” Grand Rounds at Winchester Medical Hospital, November 7, 2018.
- “Informed Consent Through the Lenses of Real World Cases,” Augusta Hospital, October 23, 2018.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying the Dog Bite Case,” Virginia CLE, September and October 2018.
- “Department of Health Complaints,” Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, January 17, 2018.
- Clinical Grand Rounds Documentation, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, October, 26-27, 2017.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying the Dog Bite Case,” Virginia CLE, September 26, 2017.
- “Protection of Risk Management Investigation and Documentation, “ Charlottesville, Virginia, September 7, 2017.
- Medical Malpractice Panel Discussion, presented to University of Virginia Fourth Year Medical Students at the University of Virginia, March 8, 2017.
- “Mastering Trial Objections,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, January 16, 2017.
- “Five Deadly Sins of Voir Dire,” presented to Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, January 14, 2016.
- “Informed Consent: Through the Lens of 5 Cases,” Solution Services Risk Management Retreat, September 3, 2015.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying a Dog Bite Case,” presented for Virginia CLE, June 24 and July 22, 2015.
- “Introduction of Evidence of a Surviving Spouse’s Remarriage in a Wrongful Death Action,” The Journal of Civil Litigation, 2015.
- “Tales From the Trenches: Avoiding & Defending Malpractice Claims,” presented to UVA Attending Physician, May 2015.
- “Tales From the Trenches: Avoiding & Defending Malpractice Claims,” presented to Martha Jefferson Hospital Employee Physicians, January 7, 2015.
- “The Good Wife and Electronic Evidence,” presented to The Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court on March 13, 2014.
- “Trial Practice—Civil and Criminal–From Opening Statement to Closing Argument” Joint Presentation of the American College of Trial Lawyers of Virginia State Bar, October 22, 2013.
- “Best Practices in Nursing Documentation,” Martha Jefferson Hospital, April 18, 2012.
- “Trends and Updates in Medical Malpractice,” Summit Health Care, Richmond, Virginia, October 27, 2011.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying the Dog Bite Case,” Virginia CLE, Charlottesville, Virginia, June 7, 2011.
- “Recommendation from Mediators for a Successful Mediation,” Panel Moderator, VADA Conference, The Homestead, Hot Springs, Virginia, October 15, 2010.
- “Risk Management and Liability in Anesthesia Practice,” presented as a panel discussion to the Virginia Society of Anesthesiologist, Roanoke, Virginia, April 24, 2010.
- “Mental Health Issues, The Trial Court and the Trial Lawyer,” presented to Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Charlottesville, Virginia, October 12, 2009.
- “Hospital Disclosure Policies and the Virginia ‘I’m Sorry’ Statute,” presented to physicians of Martha Jefferson Hospital, September 16, 2009, Charlottesville, Virginia (accredited for CME).
- “Documentation with Electronic Medical Records,” presented to the Virginia Women’s Center, October 16, 2008, Richmond, Virginia.
- “Preventing and Defending Medical Malpractice Claims,” presented to Commonwealth Anesthesia Associates, January 12, 2008, Richmond, Virginia (accredited for CME by the School of Medicine, Office of Continuing Medical Education, University of Virginia Health System).
- “Lessons Learned: Informed Consent,” presented to the Virginia Women’s Center, May 17, 2007, Richmond, Virginia.
- “Smooth Sailing: Navigating the Rough Waters of Modern Day Practice,” presented to Anesthesia Management Services Organization, January 13, 2007 in Richmond, Virginia in association with Bruce D. Gehle, Esquire of Morin & Barkley, LLP.